10. Monmouthshire – Thursday 28 June

High Glanau Manor - Tour 10

High Glanau Manor

High Glanau Manor, Lydart
Mr and Mrs Hilary Gerrish

In 1923 Avray Tipping, the  garden writer and architectural historian, built the house at High Glanau and laid out the garden. When Helena and Hilary Gerrish moved here they were determined to restore Tipping’s garden. The result is a wonderful Arts and Crafts garden with distant views over the Usk valley towards the Brecon Beacons.  Double borders in white, blue and yellow lead away from the south side of the house, parallel to a lower Sedum walk.  A restored wooden pergola ends the borders, behind which a wall coceals the vegetable garden and the large Edwardian glasshouse by Messenger & Co. To one side of the house retaining walls support perennial-clad terraces, between which steps run down to an octagonal water-lily pool.

Llanover - Tour 10

Llanover

Llanover, Abergavenny
Mr and Mrs Ross Murray

Elizabeth Murray’s family have lived at Llanover since 1792, when the bones of the garden, particularly the ponds, rill, the Round Garden and the landscaping of the park, were created. Later generations have added to the gardens, particularly in the planting of trees and shrubs, most notably Elizabeth’s father, Robin Herbert CBE, who was President of the RHS. Apart from the rich collection of spring-flowering Magnolias and Rhododendrons, the two arboreta in the garden have fine specimens of Taxodium, Davidia, Cornus, Acers, Nyssa and Liquidambar for autumn colour. The garden is blessed with abundant water which flows from the hills above to fill the ponds, pour over cascades, meander through the bog garden and eventually join the nearby River Usk. In summer the roses abound, and the bog garden is filled with Rodgersia, Persicaria, Iris and Primulas.

Allt y bela - Tour 10

Allt y bela

Allt y bela, Llangwm Ucha, Usk
Arne Maynard Esq

Arne Maynard created a wonderfully formal garden of rooms around his first house in the Fens and here at Allt y bela, an isolated, tall, cinnamon-coloured, late-medieval farmhouse, reminiscent of a Borders’ Pele Tower, he is making a very different sort of garden. The house sits in a shallow valley and the garden is restrained and understated to allow the house and landscape to take centre stage. Yew cones and spheres punctuate the garden, beech is trimmed into spirals and tiered stands, box, clipped into organic shapes, create patterns in the wildflower bank. Beyond the highly productive vegetable garden, a stream fringed with marginals flows past fruit trees and then turns and runs in a controlled stone-walled trough past the house and away down the valley.