Daylesford House, Moreton-in-Marsh – The Lord and Lady Bamford
Daylesford was built by 1793 for Warren Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal. Lord and Lady Bamford, who acquired the estate in 1988, have magnificently restored the garden. Behind the Orangery, which houses a collection of citrus trees, lies the Secret Garden, built to mark the Millennium and designed by Rupert Golby. The Scented Walk, planted with Magnolias, Daphnes, lilac and lily-of-the-valley, leads to the two-acre walled garden, which was restored with help from Lady Mary Keen. This spectacular space contains a vegetable garden and fruit garden, as well as two greenhouses, one for peaches, the other for orchids. Yew hedges divide the Rose Garden, the Quince Lawn, the cut flower and pot gardens. This is a rare opportunity to see a wonderful 18th century garden beautifully restored, updated and functioning, as it surely would have done for Warren Hastings.
Kingham Hill House, Kingham – Mr and Mrs Ian Molson
The garden at Kingham Hill House, which looks south over the gentle contours of the Evenlode valley, was designed by Rosemary Verey in the early 1990s and added to latterly by Rupert Golby. This is a garden of avenues and vistas; fastigiate oaks form an allée through the garden from the main drive, pleached limes lead the eye across the croquet lawn. The water garden fills the original walled garden where a cascade, framed by a double avenue of Acers, falls away towards an informal reed-fringed lake with a view of the church at Churchill on the horizon. An enclosed lavender garden, surrounding a silver-leafed ornamental Pear, is approached by tunnels of Wisteria floribunda ‘Snow Showers’. The four lavender–edged beds are planted with standard Wisteria, Prunus lusitanica, peonies, Iris ‘Jane Phillips’ and Agapanthus. The kitchen garden, completed in December 2005, provides all vegetables, cut flowers and fruit for the house.